Mersen Publishes NEC14 Reference GuideDecember 11, 2013
Mersen, formerly Ferraz Shawmut, recently published a reference guide titled “2014 National Electrical Code: Changes in Overcurrent and Surge Protection.”
The NEC codifies the requirements for safe electrical installations into a single, standardized source. It is part of the National Fire Codes series published by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA®), and while not itself a U.S. law, NEC use is commonly mandated by state or local law.
In this paper, Mersen identifies and explains selected key code changes in overcurrent and surge protection, including:
- New Circuit Breaker Requirements for 1200A Plus Circuits
- SPD Type 4 and New Requirements
- Surge Protection without Overcurrent Protection
- Short-Circuit Current Rating (SCCR)
- Solid State Motor Circuit Protection
- Ground Fault Protection (GFP) for 1000A Plus Circuits
- Sizing Transformer Protection
- PV Shut-off for First Responders
- Selective Coordination Requirements
- Selective Coordination Not Required in Hospitals
“This Reference Guide endeavors to inform electrical professionals seeking an understanding of the code updates and further demonstrates the analysis used in the final resolutions,” says Peter Walsh, PE, Senior Field Engineer and author of the reference guide.
To download a copy of this Reference Guide, click here. For additional information and resources on electrical protection, visit ep.mersen.com.